Thursday, May 20, 2010

Jelly Slice

My Aunty used to make Jelly Slice every time we had a family event when I was growing up and it was always one of my favourites. I remembered it recently and got the recipe so I can make it for my family as they grow up.





1 packet of Marie biscuits
200g of melted butter
1 can condensed milk (395g)
juice of 2 lemons
2 heaped teaspoons gelatine
1 packet jelly crystals (we always used strawberry)
1 & 3/4 cup boiling water

Base: Crush biscuits in food processor (or crush between baking paper with a rolling pin) and combine with melted butter. Press into 20cm x 20cm tray (I use a glass pyrex dish so you can see the layers) and chill in the fridge for at least 45 minutes.

Lemon Layer: Use a jug (that takes at least 500 mls) and combine 3/4 cup of boiling water and the gelatine, stir until dissolved. Add the condensed milk, lemon juice and mix until combined. Pour over the biscuit base and chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.

Top Layer: Combine 1 cup of boiling water and jelly crystals and stir until dissolved. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes and then pour onto lemon layer - ensure to pour slowly and close to the layer to prevent any holes forming. The longer the middle layer is chilled, the better to prevent holes forming. Place back into fridge to set the jelly.

Result - Wow - it's like being 5 again!!! I was a little worried it wouldn't taste like I remembered after so long but it does - it's so yummy. I always take a bite, then eat the biscuit then the jelly and finally the lemon layer because it's just so good. I shouldn't build it up so much as I'm not sure it would live up to the "hype" but it's not a family favourite for nothing!

Source - my lovely Aunty June :)

2 comments:

  1. oh yum! im totally going to try this one :) they always have this at like finger food parties! yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were yum Amy, thanks for bringing them over for morning tea. Definately going to hang on to this recipe! And they look so pretty with the different layers

    ReplyDelete